Add warmth and character to your space with one of this years biggest trends, Artisan Layers. Artisan-made goods like hand-thrown ceramics, oil paintings, carved wooden bowls, hand-knotted rugs, and shapes from antiquity can add layers of depth to your shelves, entries, and even bathrooms. It’s a look that adds softness and a collected refinement to crisp modern lines, and it’s been making it’s way into the spaces of all our favorite designers. Read on for examples and ideas on how to get the look!
Layer in handmade goods from Artisans around the world for a refined, collected look in any space.
Get the Look
- Add ceramic vases, lamps, and jugs to your decor. Look for interesting glazes, colors, and shapes.
- Layer carved bowls and cutting boards to your kitchen
- Swap out your plastic canisters for hand thrown pottery or antique crocks.
- Add color and pattern with hand-knotted rugs. They look beautiful in traditional spaces like bedrooms and living spaces, but can also double as doormats and bathroom mats for a unique feel in every space.
- Add the Color of the Year: Classic Blue with traditional Chinoiserie
- Get the look with antiques. You can often get an artisan feel for less this way than buying direct from current artists.
Where to Shop
Etsy–A favorite online source for original handmade art. We love supporting artist and are amazed at the gorgeous ceramics and paintings we’ve found. Its also an incredible source for global antiques.
Pottery Barn–Retailers are seeing the same trend we are and sourcing beautiful Artisan made goods
Arhaus— Beautiful global finds for an Artisan look
One Kings Lane— A curated collection of new and antique treasures
We’ll be showing different ways we are loving this look, sharing favorite Artisan finds, and letting you in on more 2020 trends all month so be sure to check back soon!